So I've been running my home media centre on Mageia for the last year or so and Mandriva before that. Rather than just a simple setup with a normal disk, I like to try and make things complicated for myself. I don't necessarily do this because it's the best and most efficient setup (it's very likely NOT!), but I do it for the sake of learning how things work and glue together, maintainability and, in theory at least, replication to more hardware as I expand my house and the media player "outlets".
So a little over a year ago I wrote about how to setup Mageia 1 with network booting and an NFS root, so with all the changes in Mageia 2's init system (switch to systemd and dracut), and because I wanted to switch the architecture to x86_64, I figured a re-image was called for and of course I tried to take appropriate notes so others can learn from this experience - perhaps putting it to more practical use than just a single home media centre!!
So, as with any distro release, the recent Mageia 2 announcement means that I have a few boxes to upgrade. With one of my boxes however, the upgrade is somewhat more complicated as I wanted to switch from 32-bit to 64 bit. Now, with the benefit of hindsight (or with a bit of basic thought before hand) I can say that a re-install of the box would have likely been several orders of magnitude easier, but I like to push boundaries so I opted to do an in-place urpmi upgrade while switching architectures. Read on if you'd like to bask in the glow of this experience!
Hot on the heals of the awesome PulseAudio 2.0 release, I am very please to announce Mageia 2! It's been a lot of very hard work and I inadvertently ended up doing a lot more than I had originally intended but I can't complain - while it was a lot of hard work and a massive time sink for the last few months, I certainly learned a great deal and feel I've contributed to a great user experience.